Is God Speaking Today?

Let’s talk about the word “Word.” As I mentioned in an earlier post, Jesus is quoting Moses from Duet 8:3. In the original text the word “Word” does not even exist. But here, Matthew puts a word on it. The word he chooses is “rhema.” This is a Greek word that means the spoken word as distinct from the written word of God which usually is described as “logos” or some form thereof.
Sorry if I am getting too technical here, but hang in there for just a minute and I think you will see where I am going.
As I said the other day in my post “Don't Neglect the Infrastructure” the written Word of God is the basis for all of our understanding of God. Its importance cannot be overstated.
That said, I want to demonstrate today the importance of being able to hear God’s voice today. Logos is important, but without rhema there can be no life.
Lets look at a few places the word rhema shows up.

Matthew 4:4 – Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.’”

Romans 10:17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.

It is the spoken Word of God, and the preaching of it, that quickens faith in any man.

Ephesians 5:26 that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word.

It is the spoken Word of God that cleanses us.

Ephesians 6:17 And take THE HELMET OF SALVATION, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

It is the spoken Word of God that is our only weapon for spiritual warfare.

Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible.

It was the spoken Word of God that created all things (we get this because God said… and it was!

1 Peter 1:25 BUT THE WORD OF THE LORD ABIDES FOREVER.” And this is the word which was preached to you.

It is the spoken Word of God that can save us.
If you are a child of God, you know this voice. Jesus said, “My sheep hear my voice and I know them, and they follow Me.” (John 10:27) You know what I mean. You have been reading the written word, and suddenly it is as if a light goes on inside you. You GET it like never before. Or you are driving down the road in your car, and on the side of the road you see a billboard, or a sign post, or a person, or a cow, or almost anything, and God speaks to your spirit and you know you have heard from the Lord. Perhaps you were talking with someone who is struggling, and you want to bring hope to them, and suddenly a verse from the Bible pops into mind. Or you see something in your mind’s eye that just perfectly answers the need.
It happens countless ways, but this is what brings us life, cleanses us, defends, and arms us. [Tweet This]
Food is good, and I like bread, but without the rhema of God, I die.
Tell me some way you have heard the “rhema” of God.
Thanks for reading today.
Ben

0 thoughts on “Is God Speaking Today?

1. Not Many Wise

Yes, it's important to believe that we are doing what Jesus wants, otherwise how can we be 'following Him'.
    Also, as you say Ben, it is very important to have the written Word - which is the bottom line, the plumb line, and the eternal truth.
    Thanks for your post

2. altarofheaven

Amen! I am so thankful to be His sheep and so thankful He has given me ears to hear Him! This post confirms what my children and I were reading today in John 6:27 and John 6:35. Jesus is the bread of life--He is the Word! Thank you--i LOVE red letters too 🙂

3. francisdrakeprivateer

Your post amused me greatly. Not in a negative way though, because I totally agree with it. Its just that on the blog I was reading immediately prior to this one, I have just posted a comment to illustrate that the voice of God comes from many strange sources. I shall relate the same story here.

In the mid 70s, I was a relatively new believer and my parents were aghast that I had "got religion". I tried to explain the difference, but they were deaf and blind. The door to communication on that subject was closed and locked.

One night I got a real burden to write to them about what I believed. I had a sense that my father was in serious trouble, and I urgently needed to get through that door.
    The core of what I wrote was based on a billboard advert for Guinness, which had really spoken to me.
    The billboard showed a lovely glass of Guinness with its usual frothy top. Alongside it was the following statement.

"Guinness, I haven't tried it because I don't like it!"

Like many people, my parents had refused to hear or understand what the Gospel was about, because they already "knew" they wouldn't like it.

I wrote the letter shortly before I was due to make the seven hour journey to see them, but when I arrived the house was dark and empty. I tried to second guess where they were, and suspecting things were bad I drove to the large hospital in the nearest town where the reception desk confirmed my fears. When I arrived at the ward I found several of the extended family looking dreadful. My father had just been pronounced terminally ill. My mother was naturally distraught, but told me that on receiving the letter a few days earlier she had immediately surrendered her heart to the Lord.
    I went in to the ward and a short while later led my father into the kingdom.
    My mother, for years always maintained that it was not me, her son, who had written that letter.
    My father spent the last few months of his life drinking in everything he could of spiritual depth, and died a peaceful and happy man.
    Thank God for the rhema word of the Lord. It is a mighty powerful weapon in our arsenal.
    Maybe I should thank Guinness also! They always did good adverts, and this was the most powerful!
    P.S.
    Guinness really is good for you!

4. Ben Nelson

LOL - What a great story. Thank you so much for sharing this. And to think of all the hours i have spent over the years berating the alcohol industry. I am so glad you posted this testimony. It is good on so many levels.
    1) listen for God's voice in the mundane
    2) It is never too late - the field is white unto harvest, we just need the right farming implements.
    3) God can use that which our enemy intends for evil to save souls.
    Wonderful!
    Thanks for stopping in and sharing.

Ben

5. bonniemanning

I felt like the Lord wanted me to tell a lady I liked her hair the other day and that I loved the color. I was in a department store and she worked there. I looked at her name tag and just said what I felt...a few minutes later she asked if she could speak to me. She said, "I know that God sent you today to tell me you liked my hair because I dont have any and she began to pull this wig back and show me her bald head...breast Cancer...and her husband and her had just picked out the wig the night before! I LOVE ABBA DADDY!

6. Helen Murray

It's taken me a long time to recognise the voice of God in my life - and I'm quite sure that I miss him often. Or I hear but don't do what he is prompting me to do because I'm too uncertain, or nervous, or unwilling. But just now and again he comes through loud and clear and it's a wonderful thing.
    Thank you.