…Thy Name – Part 2 (Matt 6:9)
In yesterday’s blog I talked about the unique place the name of Jesus holds. Today, I want to look at the fact that almost everything we know about God, He revealed though His name. [Tweet This]Today we will look at the Old Testament, and tomorrow the New.
Think about Moses for a minute. He comes upon this bush burning in the desert. As he draws near it begins to talk to him. When he asks this bush for a name it says “I AM.” Moses is waiting for the rest of the sentence, but that is all he gets for the moment - well – I AM that I AM (as if that clears it up.)
- JEHOVAH-JIREH "The Lord our provider" - This is also the name Abraham gave to the place where the Lord provided a sacrifice in place of Isaac. (Gen. 22:14).
- JEHOVAH-NISSI "Our banner, a banner of love and protection" - Also the name Moses gave to the altar he built after defeating the Amalekites (Ex. 17:15).
- JEHOVAH-SHALOM "Our perfect peace" - Also the name Gideon gave to the altar he built at Ophrah (Judges 6:24)
- JEHOVAH-TSID-KENU "The Lord is our righteousness" - The name is applied to a future Davidic king who would lead his people to do what is right and thus bring peace (Jeremiah 23:6) and to the restored city of Jerusalem (Jeremiah 33:16). The name is possibly a play on the name of Zedekiah ("Righteous [is] the Lord") who reigned from 597 to 587 B.C..
- JEHOVAH-SHAMMAH "The One Who is with us everywhere for He is Omnipresent" - The Jerusalem of Ezekiel's vision (see Ezekiel 48:35 margin) was known by this name. Compare text at Isaiah 60:19-20 and Revelation 21:3.
- JEHOVAH-SABAOTH "The Lord of Hosts, our Protector." C.H. Spurgeon said this about the phrase "The Lord of Hosts: The Lord rules the angels, the stars, the elements, and all the hosts of Heaven; and the Heaven of heavens is under His sway... [the Lord] is on our side -- our august Ally; woe unto those who fight against Him, for they shall flee like smoke before the wind when He gives the word to scatter them." See text at Psalm 46:7.
- JEHOVAH-RAAH "Our Shepherd Who tenderly leads us, loves us and will keep us safe." - the famous Psalm 23 tells us that "The Lord is our Shepherd and we shall not want...." Being illustrated as a shepherd implies a relationship with His sheep (His believers). The term shepherd appears approximately 80 times in the Scriptures, denotating meanings of: feeder, keeper, companion, friend, pastor and herdsman.
- JEHOVAH RAPHA "I am the Lord Your Physician or I am the Lord Your Healer - this name especially was a Name God prophetically spoke about Himself, not one that someone gave Him. Exodus 15:26.
(Holman Bible Dictionary and the book All the Divine Names And Titles In The Bible by Herbert Lockyer used as source for certain material.)
There is another that does not make this list very often, but it is worth noting JEHOVAH QUANNA – From Exodus 20:5 “for I the LORD thy God [am] a jealous God.”
In any case we learn much about God’s character, and His nature as He tells us His Name.
As you read these names – which one speaks to you today? What do you hear the Lord saying about Himself, or about you when you meditate on these names? There are probably dozens, maybe even hundreds of other ways God refers to himself in the Old Testament, Ancient of days, Rock of Ages. Can you think of others?
Tomorrow we will look at the JEHOVAH statements of the New Testament. Don’t miss it!
"His Name is Wonderful" by Audrey Mieir
"Jehovah Jireh" - by Merla Watson