…Thy Name – Matt 6:9
Today we are going to look at Jesus and His Jehovah declarations. Jehovah basically means I AM, and Jesus uses this phrase through his ministry. It is especially apparent when you look at the Gospel of John.
There are those who say that Jesus never claimed to be God, but these are those who do not understand the Jewish culture. This I AM that begins with Moses at the burning bush, and runs throughout the Old Testament (see yesterday’s post) we see Jesus pick up and carry into His ministry.
Yesterday I said that we learn much about the nature and character of God through His name. Today we will look at how much Jesus told us about Himself by using this same form. I AM…
Here are 7 notable I AMs of Jesus in John’s Gospel:
1) John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I AM the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
2) John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I AM the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
3) John 10:7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I AM the door of the sheep.
4) John 10:11 I AM the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
5) John 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I AM the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
6) John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I AM the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
7) John 15:1 I AM the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
8) John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM.
This really does not need a lot of commentary. It is so clear. Jesus is everything we need, and everything we desire. One of the Old Testament names I have not mentioned is “Desire of Nations” and when I read these verses, I am like – Oh Jesus, I want you more than anything! I will follow You anywhere, because You are worthy! [Tweet This] What can you hear Jesus speak to you as you read His names?
"A Name I Know" by Steve Swanson
"Jesus, Name above all Names" by