In Luke 10 Jesus visits Mary and Martha. You may know the story. Martha is busy with the work of entertaining. You know the drill, cleaning the corners, setting the table, preparing meal after meal, doing the dishes, making sure everyone is comfortable, offering drinks and snacks, pointing the way to the power room. (Archeology has not yet proven the existence of powder rooms in the first century BC, but you get my drift.)
Jesus is sitting in the sitting room bringing more and more light to the kingdom of God. Jesus' words enthralled Martha's sister Mary, and just sat at His feet listening.
As you may know Martha come us to Jesus, somewhat indignantly, and ask that He tell Mary to help her with the important work involved in having people in the house.
The Passion Translation gives His response this way:
Martha, my beloved Martha. Why are you upset and troubled, pulled away by all these distractions? Are they really that important? Mary has discovered the one thing most important by choosing the most beautiful place of sitting at my feet. She is undistracted, and I won’t take this privilege from her. - Luke 10:41-42 TPT
I love Jesus’ description of Mary’s place. In it we can glean how she learned to abide in Him.
1) Discovered - Mary discovered this place. She was looking for the best place, and discovered this place - the feet of Jesus.
2) Most Important - This place Mary discovered was no minor find. She found the key—the most important place. This place is the one place—the one thing David speaks on in Psalm 27:
One thing I have asked from the LORD, that I shall seek:
That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, - Psalm 27:4 NASB
3) Chosen - Once she knew of this place, she chose to be there. This was not easy with her sister scurrying about and pressuring her to help. Often life flits about us pressuring us to join the busy work, while Jesus sits in the sitting room or our hearts, teaching us of the kingdom of the Father. Sitting at Jesus’ feet is a choice—every time.
4) Beautiful - Her discovered and chosen place was a beautiful place. Not only is abiding in Him important, it is a place of beauty. To continue the verse above:
To behold the beauty of the LORD - Psalm 27:4
5) Undistracted - When she arrived in this place, she could sit, undistracted by life’s tight hold on here. She was able to give Him her full attention. Here’s the end of the verse:
And to meditate in His temple. - Psalm 27:4
6) Privilege - This is the life of privilege that the Lord will not take away. Do you know that a privilege it is to sit at the feet of Jesus? This is one of life’s great secrets. Many pay big bucks for the privilege of a back stage pass, or an autograph of one of the world’s greats. But the privilege of sitting at the feet of Jesus, is free, and can’t be taken from us. Yet it’s value is above all the world can offer. It is the one thing - the only thing that matters.
Find your way to your heart's sitting room today, and sit undistracted at the feet of Jesus.
See you again soon.